arielstidham

arielstidham

The Name of the Star
Maureen Johnson

Beautiful Creatures (Beautiful Creatures, Book 1)

Beautiful Creatures - Margaret Stohl, Kami Garcia "Mortals. I envy you. You think you can change things. Stop the Universe. Undo what was done long before you came along. You are such beautiful creatures."

I adore that line usually I don't keep track of any quotes but that was just great I had to write it down!

This book is told through our male protagonist Ethan Wate, which was refreshing since most YA books are told in a female's perspective. You don't really have a great comprehension of his character since the story mainly revolves around Lena.

Ethan lives in a boring southern town of Gatlin, where nothing changes and the Civil War is called the war of aggression. Nothing of note happens and there aren't really any secrets but really nothing can be farther from the truth. This town is hopping with secrets. Ethan doesn't come to realize until a new girl, Lena, comes to town. This is when the story really begins.....

This book has mystery,southern culture,magic(a new take I haven't seen before), and a OK relationship. I do give Kudos to the authors though if I hadn't read that it was by two authors I wouldn't of even noticed.The writing is pretty good and the story is pretty interesting and different. Reading the book is pretty daunting because of it large size(over 500 pages) and has a lot of back story, and at times made me want to take breaks from it because of that. My favorite character was Uncle Macon(Lena's uncle who raised her).

The atmosphere for this book was amazing and I loved the characters and felt strong emotions for all of the both the good and the bad characters. Something not very prominent in YA fiction is family . The parents and family are usually not important and sometimes not mentioned at all kinda like in Charlie Brown when you never see an adult and all the say say is "wah wa wah wa" . Beautiful Creatures had lots of family involvement which I loved.

Did I like the book? Why yes I did in fact I checked out the next two from my library as soon as I got the chance.

My rating 4/5
Just for the parts where it dragged on!